lundi 30 juin 2014

To my mentor in college: A debt of gratitude






Alexander Morton, who was a staff member of the College Library at my alma mater, was a gay African-American man who not only befriended me, but whose kindness and generosity I will never forget and can never repay.

At a  time in my life of great emotional tumult, he reached out to me.   Unfortunately I did not really understand this at the time.    

When I look back, I believe that he was probably the one person on campus who was "looking out" for me--as he did for many others--and who actually cared about what happened to me.  His kind, avuncular smile and gentleness were constant.

Never an unkind word did I hear him utter.  He gave me words of encouragement that none of the my professors did.

Before I graduated from college, he offered to store my large stereo loudspeakers at his house and send them onto to me later, when I had settled down--which was more than two years later, as I recall. This he did at his own cost and inconvenience.

I only wish he were still alive so that I could tell him in person that I now appreciate fully his gift to me.

His spirit lives on in others.





 # # # # #

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire