jeudi 26 juin 2014

More of it




"More of it, bigger, louder, and faster" seems to be America's motto in the first half of the 21st century.*

In most quarters, I think I would be accused of apostasy if I disagreed, let alone challenged this.

But bigger is not necessarily necessarily, and here our I-pods would seem to be obvious corroboration of this view.

I think now that heading towards a point much closer to the horizon, I think I could and probably should place the motto above with just one word

"Wiser."

Forget the rest.





Prajnaparamita, Borobudur, Java, 1285 CE.






America is decidedly ambivalent about whether "more violent" ought to be added to the motto, as we are shocked and saddened by gun violence but delighted in watching violence on screens of all sizes.

Strength is equated with force, and violence is seen as often tantamount to the latter, a necessary "evil" and sometimes highly satisfying at that.  Bullying seems to require an equal and opposite force.

Immaturity is one thing that broadly characterizes our country, and relates to the search for a wiser way of life.

Living to be  75 but healthy rather than 100 with little or no quality seems O.K. by me.







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire