jeudi 28 janvier 2016

Taking the truth out of the "Y": What do you have?









The "truth" is that you cannot make anyone tell the truth--or even, at least not lie--even if you are telling them the truth--or at least not lying.

(At best, you might be able to encourage them).

The irony of what happened on July 7, 2015 at the downtown YMCA was that Cynthia Klever tried to get me to do the opposite, i.e. she tried to make me admit to something I had not done.

(I lived in China for years and know from personal experience that they use coercion of various types to get people to admit to things they never did. When I got back to the U.S., I exclaimed to myself, "So glad to be back where we don't do things like that!").

In this cynical world, is that all that is possible:  to make people tell a lie or lies?

I remember in one e-mail saying something to the effect that "This should not be happening...We don't want Guantanamo here."

The irony is that, in a sense, she does.  Or she doesn't see the principle behind what I was saying.
Or doesn't care.

Granted, Guantanamo was/is a million times worse, but the "principle" is similar or identical: Get someone into a corner where they can't defend themselves, thereby making it easy to impute misconduct, etc.   Machiavellian in its amorality.

So do we lose our innocence or our faith in humanity because one person has harmed us and let us down terribly (I believed in her for several years up until that meeting).

This is how, at least, some people get "ahead" in our society.

This I know now.

I thought I knew when someone was telling the truth.

Now I know I do not.

It is, at best, a hunch.  Don't act on the basis of a hunch.  An invitation for a "friendly discussion" may be a trap.

Another hunch is that employees at the downtown Seattle YMCA must sign a paper that says they will not discuss "office affairs" with outsiders.  So much for openness and honesty.

Is there any incentive to tell the truth at this business or only to tell it when it is not going to set you on a collision course with your superior(s)?






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire